Monday, January 25, 2010

Five Albums

As I’ve posted before, I strongly believe that we should try to make good use of all we get. That’s part of why I write this blog. I have so much to say about music because I listen to it so much and I think perhaps, there might be a few people who might possibly be informed by my opinions. Just one would make it worth it.

Anyway, I don’t have a lot to write about right now. I’ve been spending a lot of time working on a paper for my philosophy class so I thought this might be a nice change of pace. I thought I’d just give a list of the last five albums I’ve listened to and how I feel about them at this very moment. Ranked from most to least recently listened to.

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

This is one of those classic, divine albums for many of those underground folks out there. Number one album of the 1980s for Pitchfork, hip cats think it’s cool. I’m not a die-hard fan but I certainly like Daydream Nation more than I did when I first borrowed it from my friend Chris in high school. Sonic Youth has a totally original language of guitar dissonance and noise. It’s not exactly pretty but it’s fascinating. The album is long but it’s totally unique and hugely influential which definitely counts for something in my book. 3.5 stars.

Superfly by Curtis Mayfield

I’ve heard so much about Curtis Mayfield but I just listened to this soundtrack album for the first time. And whoah. Funky, addictive, powerful, just…yes! As far as my limited knowledge of soul goes, this reminds me more of the incredible What’s Going On by Marvin Gaye than anything else but I think I daresay I might like it better. Why Curtis Mayfield isn’t a household name is beyond me. Yes, I’ve listened to this album once but I already know that I’m gonna fall in love with it. No rating yet. It’s will be high though.

Keep It Like A Secret by Built To Spill

I wrote a newspaper article about this band a few months ago. Most of what I could say about them has been said there and it's no longer available online (what happened to archives, Mast people?). But more in reference to this specific album, I just got really excited about Keep It Like A Secret over the last year or so. It’s got so much edge to it. I love “You Were Right” which blatantly quotes about a dozen famous rock songs (“You were right when you said a hard rain’s gonna fall”) or “Broken Chairs,” the epic closer every indie rock album dreams of. The only problem is that the thick density of wailing guitars can get a wee bit tiresome. 4 stars.

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane

I want to fall in love with this album. I really do. But I can’t. I’m sorry John. I just don’t get it. Yes, I understand it’s your spiritual enlightenment put into musical form and all the glory is to given to God. That’s awesome. Unfortunately, I’m never completely hooked. A whole lot of jazz saxophone. But I’ll never stop trying. Truly. Coltrane is a brilliant mind I’m sure. Maybe I just need to do some hallucinogenic drugs before listening next time. 3 stars.

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
by Yo La Tengo

Yo La Tengo is one of those bands (like Soundgarden or Pixies) that despite not liking their genre all that much, I really dig their music. The genre that’s typically attached to this album is “dream pop” which basically means surreal, ambient music with loose structural content. I’ve only listened to this album once as well but it’s incredibly relaxing albeit a bit longer than it needs to be at 77 minutes. The vocal delivery of Georgia Hubley and Ira Kaplan is so easy; I just want them to sing me lullabies. No rating yet. 3.5 maybe?

That was kind of fun. Maybe I’ll do this again sometime.

*Last subheading was from "All I Wanna Do" by The Beach Boys

1 comment:

  1. 'Rock N' Roll Suicide' - Bowie

    Interesting comments. I've been intrigued by Mayfield as well - I'll put Superfly on my list of albums to pick up. I'm trying to assemble a respectable vinyl collection, and that would be a great album to pick up.

    I'm still in love with Love Supreme (pun unintended), though I listened to Daydream Nation recently and wasn't quite as moved by it as I was in the past. It's still excellent, and I love certain moments of it, but it runs pretty long in length. I actually prefer Goo as an album.

    - Chris F.

    ReplyDelete